Job Opening - General Manager - DEADLINE EXTENDED
Job Opening - General Manager
Manitoba Beef and Forage Initiatives (MBFI) is continuing its search to find a knowledgeable, experienced, and energetic person to be our General Manager to drive science and innovation at our research farm. The General Manager will work out of MBFI’s Brookdale farm site, north of Brandon, and will be responsible to implement research and provide day-to-day leadership to all of the activities at MBFI’s three farm sites.
As a centre of agricultural innovation engaging in science-based research, MBFI is a collaboration between Manitoba Agriculture, the Manitoba Beef Producers, Ducks Unlimited Canada, and the Manitoba Forage and Grassland Association, MBFI is committed to advancing the long-term profitability and sustainability of producers, enhancing the profitability of beef and forage production by evaluating foundational research to the ranch level, transferring the knowledge gained to producers, cultivating partnerships between beef producers, governments, and private stakeholders interested in advancing the industry, and fostering the growth and understanding of sustainable beef production.
The General Manager (GM) is hired as the key on-site staff leader for MBFI. The GM is expected to direct and provide leadership to staff, manage financial and human resources, oversee the development and implementation of research, demonstration and outreach activities, and represent MBFI to partners, stakeholders, visitors and the general public. The GM is responsible for the implementation of the strategic goals and operations of MBFI as determined by MBFI’s Board of Directors and as directed by the MBFI Management Committee and will take an active role fund-raising and seeking new opportunities for support for MBFI. The GM provides leadership, direction to MBFI staff, represents MBFI to stakeholders, and provides general management of the MBFI’s operations.
· Candidates for the position must have a university degree in agriculture, animal science or veterinary medicine (a Masters Degree may be considered an asset), and 5 years of experience working on an extensive livestock operation. Alternatively, an acceptable combination of education and experience may also be considered.
· Experience working in an agricultural research related field would be an asset.
· Applicants must have experience in managing staff on an extensive livestock farm.
· Applicants must have the ability to apply knowledge, research and analysis and collaborate with other research and extension professionals to coordinate implementation of multiple research studies on the farm,
· Applicants must have a working knowledge of extensive livestock production practices.
· The successful candidate must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Applicants must be proficient critical thinkers while applying to, managing and reporting to government funding programs,
· Applicants must be comfortable presenting in public, leading discussions during field extension tours and conference presentations.
· Applicants must be comfortable leading discussions with current and prospective funders and supporters of MBFI, and developing unique and strategic opportunities for MBFI to provide value for their support. The ideal candidate will have experience in sponsorship/fund-raising strategies and managing sponsorship agreements/commitments.
· Applicants must be willing work flexible hours and travel within the province, and occasionally across Canada.
· Preference will be given to candidates eligible to be members of the Manitoba Institute of Agrologists.
Experience is defined as working full-time and having the breadth of decision-making for a typical extensive livestock farm operation.
MBFI offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
More information about the General Manager position and MBFI may be found at www.mbfi.ca
A complete job description can be found here.
MBFI will continue to accept applications until June 29, 2018. Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to:
Manitoba Beef & Forage Initiatives Inc.
Attention: Don Guilford, Management Committee Chair