Job Opening - General Manager
Manitoba Beef & Forage Initiatives (MBFI) is seeking a knowledgeable, experienced and energetic person to become our General Manager to drive innovation at our research farm. The General Manager will work out of MBFI’s Brookdale farm site (north of Brandon) and be responsible for providing day-to-day leadership to all the activities at all three of MBFI’s farm sites.
As a centre of agricultural innovation engaging in science-based research, MBFI is a collaboration between Manitoba Agriculture, theManitoba Beef Producers, Ducks Unlimited Canada, and the Manitoba Forage and Grassland Association, MBFI is committed to advancing the long-term profitability and sustainability of producers, enhancing the profitability of beef and forage production by evaluating foundational research to the ranch level, transferring the knowledge gained to producers, cultivating partnerships between beef producers, governments, and private stakeholders interested in advancing the industry, and fostering the growth and understanding of sustainable beef production.
The General Manager (GM) is hired as the key on-site staff leader for MBFI. The GM is expected to direct and provide leadership to staff, manage financial and human resources, oversee implementation of research, demonstration and outreach activities, and represent MBFI to partners, stakeholders, visitors and the general public. The GM is responsible for the implementation of the strategic goals and operations of MBFI as determined by MBFI’s Board of Directors and as directed by the MBFI Management Committee. The GM provides leadership, direction to MBFI staff, represents MBFI to stakeholders, and provides general management of the MBFI’s operations.
· Candidates for the position must have a university degree in animal science or veterinary medicine, and a minimum of 5 years of experience* working on a beef cattle operation. Alternatively, an acceptable combination of education and experience may also be considered. · Ideally the ideal candidate will also have knowledge and experience in systems-based approaches (such as Holistic Management) and have knowledge of poly-cropping.
· Applicants must have a detailed knowledge of cattle production practices.
· Applicants must have experience managing staff, and ideally managing staff on a beef farm operation.
· The successful candidate must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Applicants must have the ability to apply knowledge, research and analysis and collaborate with other professionals,
· Applicants must be able to write and manage funding grants.
· Applicants must be comfortable leading extension discussions.
· Applicants must be willing work flexible hours and travel within the province, and occasionally across Canada.
* Experience is defined as working full-time and having the breadth of decision-making for a typical beef cattle farm operation.
MBFI offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
More information about the General Manager position and MBFI may be found at www.mbfi.ca
A complete job description can be found here.
MBFI will be accepting applications until March 30, 2018. Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to:
Manitoba Beef & Forage Initiatives Inc.
Attention: Don Guilford, Management Committee Chair